Armstrong & Small Eyecare Centre ReOpening & Offering Appointments!
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the safety and well-being of our patients, staff and doctors is our first priority. Our team will continue to go above and beyond the expectations for optometry practices so that everyone who enters our practice will feel safe. We are sure that you are well aware of the concerns about COVID-19, and we would like you to know the steps we are taking. These measures include, but are not limited to:
An Expectations Checklist—For All of Us
As such, we are taking the following steps to ensure the safe delivery of eyecare to you and your family upon our re-opening
- We will be screening all patients for COVID-19 symptoms, those exposed to COVID-19 and those who have traveled outside MB in the last 14 days before entering our clinic
- We ask that upon entering our clinic, that you immediately wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer
- We ask that if you have a properly fitting mask that you wear it to your appointment and keep it on during the duration of your time in the clinic
- All of our staff and doctors will be wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including gloves, masks and face-shields
- Patient flow into the office will be controlled and hence “walk-ins” will be asked to wait outside or in their car
- We ask that you arrive at your appointment alone unless you are a minor and require adult supervision then we will allow one caregiver inside with the child.
- We will be practicing safe distancing within the clinic and we ask that you do your best to keep a minimum of 6 feet between you and other patients. We will have guidelines within the clinic to facilitate this request the best we can
- We have spaced out the waiting-room chairs accordingly, and every chair will be disinfected between each use
- We will be aware of common “touch points” within the clinic such as doorknobs, counters, keyboard, phones, credit card machines, pens, etc… and will be disinfecting these as often as possible
- All instruments that patients will come in contact with will be thoroughly disinfected between each patient
- Discussions with doctors and staff will be kept to minimum. Follow up phone calls or tele-health video conferencing will be used as often as possible
- We will be triaging those routine exams based on a patient’s susceptibility to the virus so that they will be seen at a future date as much as possible.
- All magazines, prize-box toys and other peripheral items have been removed from the clinic
- Clear, acrylic partitions have been put in front of our reception desk and both dispensing areas
- All glasses that will be tried on will be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water or disinfected with a UV wand
- No visual field examinations will be done at this time as it is not possible to properly clean the inside of the bowl without affecting the integrity of the instrument. We will continue to run Optomaps and OCT testing
- We will not be using our “air puff” glaucoma test (known as an NCT) at this time. Eye pressures will be taking with our iCare device
- No contact lens trainings will be completed at this time to reduce time between trainer and patient
- ALL patient encounters will be by appointment
We appreciate your efforts in keeping with the protocols laid out by our provincial association and college.
We realize that none of this is normal, but we’re pleased that we can still offer eyecare during this phase of the pandemic.
– The Armstrong & Small Eyecare Team